Be a guardian angel to your elderly neighbours, friends, and family members this winter. Follow these steps to ensure their safety and well-being.
Keep in touch and offer practical help
- Reach out: Regularly check on your family, friends, or neighbours.
- Assist with errands: Offer to go to the pharmacy or grocery store for them.
Tips for keeping them safe outdoors
- Footwear: Ensure they wear shoes with good grip to prevent falls.
- Warm clothing: Advise them to wear warm clothes and cover their mouths with scarves when going outside.
Health and prescriptions
- Prescriptions: Make sure they refill prescriptions before pharmacies close for holidays.
- Health appointments: Help them get to essential health appointments. Check community transport options here.
If you’re worried about their wellbeing
- Local council or Age UK: If you’re concerned, contact your local council or call the Age UK helpline at 0800 678 1602 (available 8am to 7pm every day).
- Medical emergencies: If you suspect someone has hypothermia or needs urgent medical assistance, call NHS 111.